1371 Troops
142 Trailblazers
AnnaLund2011

AnnaLund2011

I am vociferously passionate about good books. And I hate adverbs.

ARC Review – Recovery (Salvage Stories #2), by Con Riley

Recovery - Con Riley

Melancholy. Emotions. Slow plot and tragic events. And so, so beautiful. It is the language that seduces me, it talks straight to my soul; there is no huge romance action happening, just slow, tragic life and then the good feelings of arrival.

This Jamie takes me by the hand and leads me through his personal hell, and out on the other side. I’m shell-shocked, still, after having read this three weeks ago. I’ve been trying to get a handle on my emotions, but Con Riley just shot the ball out of the field here, and me right with it.

This is not a steamy m/m romance book. Not a book for you if you are looking for a fast and furious, sexy book.

This is a novel on life and death, wherein some of the main characters happen to be gay men.

And for me? I just love this. I love this emotional reality that Con Riley writes so expertly. I love that there can be stories about real life, too, with characters that resemble the motley crew that is my close crowd of friends. I love to see this diversity mirrored in novels.

And this one mirrors life better than most. Slow, but not easy.

Terribly sad, but quite uplifting, still.

The language levels me. Leaves me choking and gasping for breath. Gives me goose-bumps when I finally realize why things that made no sense in the beginning suddenly come around and get put into a perfectly crafted slot towards the end. Brilliance.

A companion novel to Salvage, but this can easily also be read as a stand-alone.

Mastery. I whip my hat off to you, author.

Again.

5 stars

***

I was given a free copy of this book by the author, and a positive review wasn’t promised in return.

Source: http://AnnaLund2011.booklikes.com/post/903987/arc-review-recovery-salvage-stories-2-by-con-riley