1370 Troops
142 Trailblazers
AnnaLund2011

AnnaLund2011

I am vociferously passionate about good books. And I hate adverbs.

I am a reviewer—I am a lover

I review. Sometimes I like a book, sometimes I don't.

I am not paid to review books. It's not my job. It is a passion I have, together with reading, but it is not my job. But you know what? A lot of readers trust me when I review.

Because I review as honestly as I possibly can, and I have followers who jump on books I rate low, just because they *know* they will love what I didn’t like at all. It is the way things are.

Not every book is for every person.

My job is not to coddle, or help, or instruct authors on how to write—I just said it's not my job. I'm not an editor, and most specifically, I am not your editor, author.

I’m not reviewing to help you along in your endeavor of being an author.

I review for the readers out there, for the people who are your customers, author.

I’m not here to teach you how to write and help you improve your craft. You are the author. You are the professional who put a product out on the market for me to purchase. You are supposed to know your job already, or at least make sure your publisher gives you professional help.

I review. Sometimes I like a book, sometimes I don't.

When I don't like a book, please don't call me a hater.

I didn't like your book, that's all. Many other people loved your book. I didn’t.

Just as I don't like Microsoft, or some IKEA products. (Yes, I send feedback and reviews to them too).  (Funny how they don’t blow a fuse and rush screaming on Twitter and Facebook and cry about it).

Your book is not a baby. It is a product. On a market. It has a price. I paid it.

If I buy it I am free to like it or hate it. If you give it to me for free, I am STILL free to love it or hate it. Heck, if I find it on the street and take it home, I am free to love it or hate it.

And it has nothing to do with you, personally, author. Just like Bill Gates never pulled his hair out or ever bothered to get upset by my—sometimes quite angry—words about Microsoft and Windows (before I switched to Mac, at which things got way easier).

Your book is a product. If you can't handle the response it is getting on the open market, you have two options:

1. Don’t read the reviews.

2. Don’t put it on the market in the first place.

That said, I am sure quite a few of you out there have seen me gushing like a crazed teenager, squeeing my head off, dancing and shouting from the tree tops when I love a certain book.

And, you see, that wouldn't mean anything without the negative reviews, too—if I'm not totally honest in ALL my reviews, who is ever going to believe me when I say your book is brilliant?

In an ocean of positive sweetness, nothing stands out, nothing gets to shine.

I am not a hater. Please don’t tell me that I am, when I give you a 2-star review and explain why. Please don’t tell me that I don’t understand your characters, or that I didn’t read your book “the right way.” And please don’t tell me I’m a bully for giving your book 2 stars. Or even 1 star. I am reviewing your product, not you.

It is my review of my experience of my book (it is now my book, because I bought it).

And, if you do call me a hater, then you have to raise me to the skies when I give a 5-star review, and call me a lover. And that goes for every time you see me giving a 5-star review to somebody else, too, not just when it is about your own, personal, pretty-baby-book. Funny how that works, yeah? Because, somehow, I never see that happening.

Nobody ever tells me I’m a lover.

So: stop calling me a hater.

I am not a hater. I am a serious reviewer who speaks her heart. I am a serious person who loves good writing and great stories. And I am a potential ally in your drive to get known.

Maybe I just didn’t like your book.

Get over it. Write a new one. A better one. Maybe I’ll love it.

Because that is what I am.

I am a lover.

And I am back.

Source: http://AnnaLund2011.booklikes.com/post/868258/i-am-a-reviewer-i-am-a-lover