1366 Troops
140 Trailblazers
AnnaLund2011

AnnaLund2011

I am vociferously passionate about good books. And I hate adverbs.

Book Review - Tread Marks and Trademarks, by S. A. McAuley

Tread Marks &Trademarks  - S.A. McAuley

This was a great, great read. Not only is Alex a complicated, brilliant man, he also manages to rope in (the Norse god) Christian (whom I adore, after having initial problems with his *name*), and they are quite perfect together. Christian is probably the only person who really gets Alex, apart from Alex's twin brother Micah. But Christian still realizes that he will never fully understand how Alex's brain works, "One hundred years isn't going to be enough," he says, with wonder in his voice. Powerful.

The message is continued in this book, and it is a good one, one of deep commitment to ideals and doing the right thing. Standing up for your friends, and making sure your inventions go to all. Beautiful, and so unusual today, where all books just talk about what the protags need, want, crave and die for. Me, me, me, me, me. Some honest-to-bleep ideals and backbone is really a breath of fresh air. Thank you for that, author.

Now, how can you put all that in a book, and still manage to make me smile? (A smile, I might add, that is still bursting out the day after reading this - it keeps on giving). I'm not going to put in 15 excerpts this time, just the one that sums it all up so beautifully for me:

"Are we really having this conversation while dressed as lesbian zombie brides?"

That's Alex to Christian, by the way. And yes, they did have that conversation dressed as lesbian zombie brides. Just sayin'.

This book was good on so many levels. Even the sexing was sweet and soft, so unusual to read M/M romance without the pounding. I can appreciate both. *grins*

Only note of slightly furrowed brow on my part: This book should just have been a part of the first one, making one longer novel. (Author just tells me this is in the works. Excellent idea). Because they are not really free-standing, you need to read them in actual order (not my strongest suit, as all those who follow my reviews know). Also, I loved the cover of this one, and not so much the first one. The Maker Jock was a great short story, but the cover was just M/M-silly. This cover, on Tread Marks & Trademarks? BRILLIANT. Fucking brilliant.

I found a couple of errors, but this was an ARC, so I'm confident they will be washed out before hitting the shelves.

All in all a fabulous read, exactly the way I'm starting to expect from this author.

***********

I was given an ARC from the author in exchange for an honest review.

This is that review.

(That said, this book, when it gets reshaped into one, longer book, will be on my immediate To Buy list. It's one of those books I need to have, forever).

Source: http://AnnaLund2011.booklikes.com/post/202030/tread-marks-and-trademarks