1370 Troops
142 Trailblazers
AnnaLund2011

AnnaLund2011

I am vociferously passionate about good books. And I hate adverbs.

Talking Sense About 'Fifty Shades of Grey', or, Fanfiction, Feminism, and BDSM

Talking Sense About 'Fifty Shades of Grey', or, Fanfiction, Feminism, and BDSM - John Lennard This was a book I had to read twice. The first time I wasn't sure it wasn't just going to be another shirt-tail-riding-50-shades-book, but it was not. It actually stands on its own two legs and screams out a lot of my personal frustration. It takes my objections about this Shady Business seriously. This passage sums it up for me:"Ethically, at a general level, one could say that without Twilight itself, however flawed it may be, and without the Twilight fandom, there would have been no Master of the Universe [.]...so seeing James flourish through media articles commonly disparaging fanfic, and repeatedly failing in interview to acknowledge any of her debts, is depressing and unpleasant."If you wonder where 50 came from, or why a lot (A LOT) of us are bitching about pull2publish, read this book. It is deeply intelligent, with well researched data, put together in a not-too-long exposé. Finally someone who sees the damage it has done to the fandom and community.It goes from Fifty, through feminism and (real) bdsm, all the way around to coming back to Fifty, tearing it apart. 'Nuff said. Just read it. ***I was NOT asked to read this book by anyone, I paid for it with my own money, as I do for all the books I read, all the music I listen to and the movies I watch.